Driving Under The Influence, Avondale, Georgia
Driving Under the Influence (DUI) is a serious offense. In the State of Georgia, DUI is defined as operating or being in actual physical control of a motor vehicle “while under the influence” of drugs or alcohol, including,
- the influence of any illegal drug or controlled substance,
- having a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% or greater (for most drivers of legal drinking age), or
- any amount of marijuana or illegal drugs detected in your blood or urine.
Being under the influence can be subjective, especially in cases of being under the influence of drugs or controlled substances. DUI can be difficult to undoubtedly prove in these cases since there is no current equivalent to a BAC test. Whether accused of driving under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or a controlled substance, an experienced DUI lawyer will scour the evidence against you to build a strong DUI defense strategy.
If you have been arrested for DUI in Avondale Estates, Georgia, contact the top DUI lawyers near you. Contact George C. Creal, Jr. P.C. for a case evaluation with a knowledgeable DUI defense lawyer.
DUI Penalties in Georgia
DUI Convictions in Georgia carry penalties including mandatory jail time, fines, community service, and license suspension. When determining appropriate penalties for a DUI conviction, a judge will consider several factors, including the number of DUI charges you have been convicted of in the last ten years.
- 1st Offense DUI
- Ten days to 12 months jail time
- $300 to $1,000 in fines
- Minimum 20 hours of community service
- 12-month driver’s license suspension with possible reinstatement after 120 days
- 2nd Offense DUI
- 90 days to 12 months jail time
- $600 to $1,000 in fines
- Minimum 30 days of community service
- Three-year driver’s license suspension with possible reinstatement after 18 months
- 3rd Offense DUI
- 120 days to 12 months jail time
- $1,000-$5,000 in fines
- Minimum 30 days community service
- Permanent revocation of driver’s license with the opportunity to apply for a probationary license after three years
In addition to the mandatory sentencing above, further penalties incurred for DUI convictions in Georgia may include:
- Probation. 12 months, minus any jail time already served.
- Alcohol and drug clinical evaluation. As well as completion of any treatment program recommended as a result.
- Child endangerment charges. If convicted of being impaired while transporting a minor, this charge carries up to 12 months in jail and $1,000 in fines, in addition to DUI penalties.
- Drug use risk reduction program completion. For second-time DUI offenders.
- Forfeiture and sale of vehicle. For third time or subsequent DUI convictions.
- Automatic three-year suspension of driver’s license. If the act of DUI causes injury or death.
Fighting a DUI charge on your own can have a devastating impact on your future. A skilled DUI lawyer can help negotiate for a lesser charge or more lenient sentencing. Under special circumstances, a DUI lawyer can even find evidence to have your case dismissed.
First Conviction DUI Attorney, Avondale Estates, Georgia
DUI convictions not only cause difficulties for the duration of the penalty but can also cause complications with future employment and other aspirations. Unlike other states, where first-time DUI convictions have an opportunity to be expunged from a criminal record, Georgia law prescribes that even first-time DUI convictions will remain on the offender’s record permanently.
If you have been charged as a first-time DUI offender, it is imperative you have an experienced first-offense OUI/DUI attorney working on your case. If you are facing DUI charges, contact an experienced DUI lawyer right away to minimize the negative effects of a conviction.
Don’t trust your DUI case to just any lawyer, hire a DUI defense lawyer you can count on. With over 50 years of combined courtroom experience, the legal team at George C. Creal, Jr. P.C. has a proven track record of obtaining favorable outcomes for challenging DUI cases. Contact them today to schedule your complimentary case evaluation with a winning DUI lawyer.
Call Now For A Case Evaluation